Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Making of Petunia

Here's a time lapse video of me painting "Petunia".  I hope to be able to do more of these. Growing up in a small town where access to art education was almost non-exsistent, I had to find my own ways of honing my craft.  My way started with drawing the characters out of the comics section in the paper, watching cartoons on Saturday mornings (good excuse, huh) or, through books that I would find at the library. Now the internet has opened up a whole new way for kids to learn about and develop their love for art.  Although this video is not a how-to video (of which I can't stand anyway), it is a demonstration of painting.  It has always helped me just to watch an artist work and see how they create their art.  Not telling me "this is how it is supposed to be done" but, "this is how I like to work".  I discovered a great quote by Jackson Pollock one day when in an art store.  He said, "It doesn't matter how the paint is put on, as long as something is said".  Hopefully this video of me painting, or perhaps one in the future will inspire a kid to paint just like Bugs Bunny and Charlie Brown inspired me to become an artist.





"Petunia" - Oil Painting Demonstration from Robbie McCord on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! As I kept watching you paint in the "speed mode", I kept expecting you to whip out your airbrush and paint some palm trees in the background, ha! Really great idea filming you painting and great finished product both with the video and the painting!

    ReplyDelete